Monday, January 17, 2011

Dreams

Remember when we were kids? Remember when our entire lives were ahead of us? Remember when every dream was a possibility?

I'm sitting here tonight, listening to Easton play with his drum set. His dream? Becoming a drumming mailman. Now, I'm not quite sure how this is going to work .... is he going to tap a snare drum as he marches on his delivery route? Is he going to wear a mailman costume when he's the drummer for some hot rock band?

I'm really not sure, but there are certainly possibilities ...

Do I think that in 20 years, he'll be either drumming or delivering mail? I have no idea ... do I think that the two of them together are a recipe for success?

The answer is, that it doesn't really matter! It's his dream today, so it's my job to encourage him to follow that dream, and give him the tools to succeed in it. Which means he will have to go to school to learn how to read addresses, and it means that I have put him in drumming lessons to let him explore that part of his dream.

Am I crazy? Probably partially (but in this day and age, I can always buy him an electric drum kit that has headphones ... thank goodness!!!!), but how could I not let him explore this dream?

So, I challenge all of you to not only foster the dreams of those around you, but encourage you to follow your own forgotten dreams!

Maybe you always wanted to learn an instrument, or take up a hobby. Maybe you always wanted to try skydiving or to sing karaoke.

Whatever you dreams are, you owe it to yourself to try to achieve them, no matter how large or small they may be.

Your life is a story ... don't leave it to chance to see where it goes ... write it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment